Saturday 11 July 2009

Google Chrome



I've been having lots of problems with Internet Explorer recently. What a surprise!

It takes ages to load and crashes constantly. Using Blogger has been a nightmare for me especially loading photographs.

I had avoided installing Internet Explorer 8 as I had read that people have had lots of problems with it and as my laptop is filling up rapidly I didn't want to use up lots of space with a new download.

I've used other browsers such as Opera, FireFox and Mozilla but didn't like any of them, they were no faster and my computer didn't seem to like them either.

I saw ads for Google Chrome but as I mentioned my laptop is filling up, so I avoided it. However today I have had so many problems with Internet Explorer I thought, life's too short to put up with this dross so I had a look at Google Chrome.

It doesn't take up much space so I decided to go for it. I downloaded it and I have to say that it was really quick.

It was strange at first as you get so used to using one browser but now I absolutely love it. It's so much faster than IE I can't believe it. My home page is the BBC website which takes between 15 and 20 seconds to load in IE. It takes 5 in Chrome!

I then tested loading CBeebies from the BBC site, (grand daughter's favourite). It takes absolutely ages in IE. You have to sit and watch the dreaded green bar filling up at the bottom of the screen. Today it took 25 seconds, some days I have to walk away while my grand daughter sits moaning about it! In Chrome it took less than 5 seconds and I tried it a few times! Wonderful.

I used to have to wait for ages for some people's blogs to load. If you have lots of photos on your homepage then IE used to freeze. So I had to stop looking at some people's blogs. I thought it may have had something to do with my laptop but now I'm not so sure. It loads all the people's blogs I had problems with. It still takes a little while but it's not freezing now and I can see what it's loading, I don't just have the dreaded egg timer. It tells you what it's waiting for in a small bar on the bottom left of the screen. Flickr and play lists seem to cause the problems but nowhere near as long to wait as IE.

Creating posts in Blogger is faster too although loading the large photos still seems to take a while, I assume that's down to Blogger, the small ones loaded quickly.

The screen seems so much cleaner now. The tabs are similar to IE but I like it when you click on a new tab, you see thumbnails of your most used sites so you can just click on the picture. There's also a list of the recently closed urls and another with recent bookmarks. An absolute doddle to use.


Looks like the photographs have stopped enlarging again. I just give up!

Using the address search bar is really good compared to IE where it seems to revert to Yahoo or Dell's searches if I just type in words. Chrome comes up with several options to search including the standard Google, this is where it gets clever and suggests websites in your favourites and in your recent history. Brilliant!

I thought the websites looked small when I was viewing them, I hate small print and have my laptop set to a larger print. However it's so easy to enlarge the page. Just press Control and + and that increases it, press it again to enlarge more. Wonderful for the websites I hate which have miniscule print, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs please take note!

Also great creating my posts now. I know you could enlarge it with IE but I just never got used to it. The option was in the bit that disappeared off the end of the toolbar, I couldn't see a shortcut and I kept forgetting where it was. This shortcut is so much easier than going to the menus.

Another feature I like is the ability to report a broken link or bug direct from the page control menu back to Google. I think you choose this option when you install.

As far as I can see from just the short time I've spent using it today, Chrome has all the features I need from IE and a few more. Best of all it hasn't crashed which IE does all the time.

From what I've read about it Google Chrome is a very secure browser, much more so than IE. Another real plus for it.

I've also read that Google is developing an operating system which will get you online in seconds. It will be free and will have a suite of software like Microsoft Office built in, also free. You would just buy a computer with Google Chrome and that's it. No having to buy that overpriced Microsoft stuff. They would have to develop a customer service and helpline facility which currently Google doesn't have. So no easy job! But if they do, maybe Microsoft is in for a hard time.

As I've said before, me no technical! So if anyone has any comments about it I'd be pleased to hear them from you.

Post 4

11 comments:

Brenda said...

I am going to go try this and then come back here and reread everything. Thanks! I was just complaining about computer problems...

Rudee said...

I use firefox or safari and usually don't have too many problems except for unwanted popup ads on firefox. I don't know how they slip in there since it's formatted to block popups.

I was very leery of going with a Mac, especially since they're so pricey, but I'm glad I spent the extra money. I don't miss the PC in the least and I love my mac. It's a workhorse.

Anonymous said...

I use IE 8, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on four computers and they all work just fine. One is a laptop. I would say you are loaded with adware and things that are reporting your work to their home stations. Do you have a virus protection program? Do you have a firewall? Or can you get some of the free programs to take those ad ware programs off. Go to www.cnet.com and see what they offer? I would try them first before you do much else.

Winifred said...

Brenda - Hope this works for you. It's been great today again.

Rudee - I thought about a Mac before I bought this laptop but was so used to using the PC I just went with it again.

Abe - I've always used McAfee on this laptop with all the protection set up and it's been brilliant so far.
I have the firewall enabled along with phishing, email spam and identity protection. McAfee stops any program downloading automatically and warns me if a programme wants to download.
I rarely get pop up ads as Mcafee blocks them, the odd one gets through. The scans run regularly too so they should identify problems.

There shouldn't be any adware progs on the computer but I know that nothing offers total security. Thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look at CNET. However I'm always sceptical of downloading free stuff.

marc aurel said...

I switched to Chrome when I could not renew my Kapersky virus protection. Very happy and it compares well to Navigator, which I still have on a desktop. Only one complaint so far. It seems that I can't use the back buttons as easily as I did in windows.
There is a full history of every site visited, but I can only delete a whole day at a time, not individual memories. I share the system with my whole family and none of us has any privacy anymore. I miss having favorites as well as bookmarks. As I get used to Chrome, I love it more and more. Isn't windows still supporting it, though?

Unknown said...

Hey thanks! And thanks for the comment too. That was the nicest thing anyone could have said. I'm going to give this a shot because I am sick of IE too. Carmon

Carlos Lorenzo said...

I am with Abe here. All of them function if you take some security measures. I personally used Firefox and I have tried Chrome. Chrome is fast but Firefox has still many advantages over Chrome. I don't remember the last time my FF crashed. I stopped using IE when they came out with version 8. It is like an aircraft carrier, heavy and slow. Yes, they care about popups, they have a lot of filters, security measures everywhere but the final result is rather the opposite. Chrome is a great choice if don't care about plugins, greasemonkey scripts, versatility...Google will own FF sooner or later. I would say McAffee is not enough. First all force your browser to cleanup everything after each session. That will handle most of the crap they can give you while you surf. Keep the popup blocker on. Middle security level for internet zone is ok. Cleaning is essential. Run some antispyware like spybot or adware. Go here C:Documents and Settings/User/Local Configuration/Internet Temporal Files/Content.IE5/

(Change 'user' by your name as a user as seen in the directory). Even though you may have cleaned from IE you may still find some surprises hidden there. Cache should be cleaned too. I hope this help but my advice is not to use IE cause it stinks anyway. If you need any help please say so.

Brown English Muffin said...

I hate IE and all that it entails...I'm a developer and the only darn browser that CONSTANTLY gives us problems are IE ALL VERSIONS!!!! We stopped supporting some of the older IE versions completely because it was such a headache....I'm firefox all the way...yes it took some getting used to but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

So glad you came over to the LIGHT!!! LOL

Brown English Muffin said...

I used to think Facebook was for the younger crowd as well... but I've actually found many of my fellow bloggers over on facebook on a regular basis and none of them are too young...all of them are wearing their skirts below the knee of course like myself but none above the knee!!! LOL

Brown English Muffin said...

Just read Abe's comment and you don't have to worry about downloading free stuff from CNET I do it all the time...they go through their stuff with a fine tooth comb before offering to their customers to try.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I'm trying out Chrome now too. I don't like IE at all. I've been using Firefox for awhile now and don't have too many complaints. Some of the games on Facebook lag on Firefox but run smoothly on Chrome. Just takes some time to get used to it like anything else.